Monday, October 26, 2009

The Recipe of Lahem B Ajin - Armenian Style


I remember when I was in elementary school, I hated when my mother would pack these for lunch for me because they drew so much attention, and everyone wanted to try them. Even my teachers would want a taste, so I would end up with no lunch on those days. :) Growing up in Beirut, there is a huge Armenian community in my neighbourhood , so we would buy these and other ingredients, etc. at the Armenian bakeries.

i ended up by learning the recipe which you'll find it below :)





Servings: 10

2 garlic cloves
1 med onion, roughly chopped
1 small green bell pepper, seeded and roughly chopped
1 lb. ground lamb or beef
6 oz can tomato paste
8 oz canned diced tomatoes, drained
1/4 c chopped fresh parsley
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp allspice
1 tsp paprika
10 flour tortillas

Directions :

-Preheat oven to 400.
-Pulse garlic in food processor to mince.
-Add onion and repeat.
-Add green pepper and repeat.
-Add remaining ingredients and process until everything is very well chopped/combined. Will pull into a ball like a dough would.
-Spread a very thin layer over the tortillas, all the way to the outside edge.
-Carefully place directly on oven rack, positioning so that the edges are supported so they won't fall through.
-Bake 8-10 minutes until edges are browned and meat is cooked through.
-If bubble forms in the tortilla, pop with with tip of knife or fork.

* If you like crisp edges, you don't have to spread the filling all the way to the edges, but bear in mind, if you plan to freeze any and need to re-heat in the oven/toaster oven, already crisp edges will probably just crumble.

** I sometimes like to add paper-thin slices of tomato and cheese to the top of mine.

2 comments:

  1. I would appreciate your removing MY recipe, MY photograph, and especially MY MEMORY from your blog. I'm all for sharing recipes, or I wouldn't blog them myself, but that doesn't give anyone the right to use my work and claim it as their own, much less my childhood memories! Your profile claims that you are a chef. You should know better! At the very least, if you are going to post someone else's content, common courtesy is to link back to the origin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shame on you! I have followed HyeThymeCafe's blog for some time, and have known her through cooking forums for years. How class-less of you. *smh*

    ReplyDelete